[Talk-GB] Thrapston viaduct

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 13 12:40:26 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 08:53:57AM +0100, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> The significant (and massive) disused railway viaduct near Thrapston:
>
>    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/264894970
>
> does not render on our default map:
>
>    http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/52.3914/-0.5433
>
> despite being a significant and very visible landmark:
>
>    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_opulentfish/2870819874/

I started a thread about this sort of thing on the tagging list last
spring:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2015-March/022606.html

There were some rather bad tempered posts from the railway lobby:-(

I *thought* that the outcome was that the problem was acknowledged and
that there were moves to amend the mapnik default style to render
bridges again. But nothing happened. Having stirred up a hornets' nest
once, I decided to leave it.

But as I said there, it was embarrasing when showing "openstreet(map)"
to newbies to have to explain that the many significant (often low)
bridges in the area carrying abandoned mining railways over roads were
mapped, but not visible.

ael