[Talk-GB] Thrapston viaduct

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 13:34:14 UTC 2015

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 13:40:26 +0100
ael <law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 08:53:57AM +0100, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> > The significant (and massive) disused railway viaduct near Thrapston:
> >
> >    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/264894970
> >
> > does not render on our default map:
> >
> >    http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/52.3914/-0.5433
> >
> > despite being a significant and very visible landmark:
> >
> >    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_opulentfish/2870819874/
>
> I started a thread about this sort of thing on the tagging list last
> spring:
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2015-March/022606.html
>
> There were some rather bad tempered posts from the railway lobby:-(
>
> I *thought* that the outcome was that the problem was acknowledged and
> that there were moves to amend the mapnik default style to render
> bridges again. But nothing happened. Having stirred up a hornets' nest
> once, I decided to leave it.
>
> But as I said there, it was embarrasing when showing "openstreet(map)"
> to newbies to have to explain that the many significant (often low)
> bridges in the area carrying abandoned mining railways over roads were
> mapped, but not visible.
>
> ael

It seems to me that the viaduct and the railway are two separate entities and should mapped as such. Just because an abandoned railway happens to run on the top of the viaduct is irrelevant in my opinion.

Mike Evans

--
Anti NSA?  Use PGP.
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00CDB13500D7AB53