[Talk-GB] Thrapston viaduct

ajt1047 at gmail.com ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 03:10:13 UTC 2015

On 13/07/2015 17:46, Paul Sladen wrote:

> Any UK-specific rendering is not going to solve the core issue: that
> large numbers of perfectly extent bridges and tunnels are not
> rendered;  Most of these old tunnels in Nottingham are not rendered:
>
>    "Relation: Tunnels of Nottingham"
>    http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2446849
>
> It would be preferable to solve the _generic_ problem that affects all
> countries, which solves it for everyone at once, and doesn't risk
> altering colour choices which are (for better or worse) part of OSM's
> current brand image.

This neatly illustrates the problem.  "What gets shown on a map" has to
be a trade-off - some people want to see what is beneath their feet but
most, I suspect, will not.  OSM's "standard" map is currently trying to
be "the primary feedback mechanism to mappers" but also have "clear
design" (1).  I genuinely don't believe that you can do both well in one
map style.

I didn't agree at the time with the decision to not render abandoned
railways that are significant landscape features, but fully understood
why it was made - unless we're trying to replicate the old Osmarender
rendering (shows everything, but looks like an explosion in a crayon
factory) something has to miss the cut.  At about the time that the
"standard" style stopped being useful to me(2) I stopped using it, so
for me, Thrapston Viaduct never went away (3).

With regard to what a "GB" map render would show, I know what I'd like
to see - field boundaries, stiles, public footpaths and bridleways (and
whether they're over paths or tracks) etc.(4). Public footpaths of
course are just an "England and Wales" thing, so that's even more
parochial than "blue motorways" and "green trunk roads".  Unfortunately
I suspect what I'd choose works well for a certain type of countryside,
but less well for town centres (which is why (2) happened in the
standard style in the first place of course), so I suspect that we'd
soon hit the same sort of issues as the standard style has, with one
style being pulled in multiple directions.  In the meantime I'll stick
with (5), render them locally, and shoe-horn those tiles behind osm.org
as per (6).

Cheers,

Andy

(1)
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/b90b3b054f30f709db7e76d879cc69449206b6fd/CARTOGRAPHY.md

(2) This was more about the fact that it stopped rendering footpaths
clearly at a useful resolution when planning a longer walk.  Also the
issue as described in
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/542#issuecomment-44789930
.

(3) http://imgur.com/3FS8XMV