[Talk-GB] Thrapston viaduct

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Jul 14 08:36:48 UTC 2015

Dan S wrote:
> Sounds good. Mind if I ask how it is done? (i.e. rendering rules
> for rural vs town)

Post-import, I run a couple of queries along the lines of

UPDATE planet_osm_point SET urban=true FROM built_up_areas WHERE
ST_Contains(built_up_areas.geom,way)

using a pre-existing 'built_up_areas' table which contains polygons of,
well, built-up areas. I use OS Open Data for the polygons but you could no
doubt construct them from OSM landuse if that floats your boat.

The Mapnik stylesheet queries then simply respond to that column:

#poi[type='pub'][urban=true][zoom>=15],
#poi[type='pub'][urban=false][zoom>=13] {
  ...rendering rules...
}

cheers
Richard