[Talk-GB] Survey: A "UK/GB OpenStreetMap group"?

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Tue Jul 14 17:15:59 UTC 2015

Well done setting up the survey Rob. Good to see something happening. I think we should get our asses in gear and start forming some sort of organisation.

I was surprised your survey didn't have a question "What d'you think the organisation should be called?", because this is the question which has been vexing me. It would be quite interesting to know what name and geographic configuration most people would vote for.

OSMGB or OSMUK? It's not just a matter a geo/naming preference. There's quite a few existing named things to consider. This mailing list being one example. I've listed various things here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GB/UK_Chapter#GB_vs_UK_summary

Down the pub with TomH and gravitystorm we seemed to be preferring "OSMUK" last time we chatted about this, although since then I've started hosting osmgb.org.uk on my server (a minor point in OSMGB's favour)

Of course we could call it something else entirely, but both OSMGB and OSMUK are nice short simple names.
Harry