[Talk-GB] Ramblers app

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Wed Jul 15 13:12:56 UTC 2015

Looks kind of interesting, but I have trouble taking any organisation
seriously that still believes Avon is a county.

I've found that all authorities within my area are quite good at dealing
with the problems described on the ramblers website. If you give them an
accurate location & description (photos really help) & an explanation of
how it inconveniences the walker/rider, then there fairly speedy in
getting things rectified. Currently I'm getting a couple of kissing
gates replaced that you have to be a size zero to get through.

Dave F.

On 15/07/2015 10:06, phil at trigpoint.me.uk wrote:
> On Wed Jul 15 09:37:19 2015 GMT+0100, Rob Nickerson wrote:
>> Looks interesting. Anyone know more information about this?
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33532041
>>
> The big pathwatch runs until October,  is open to both the general public and ramblers members alike. The aim is to survey paths with a 1km grid square and upload the results either through the app, or on the website.
>
> Any square can be chosen,  however there are key squares that must be completed based on a sample of 200 per highway authority.  I'm not convinced by this as rural areas have sparse coverage,  and urban areas have complete coverage. Telford,  semi rural has the same number of squares as Shropshire and Leicestershire, and the lax planning rules caused by the new towns act will, I am sure, bring up some interesting results.
>
> I have downloaded the app, not too sure yet, can only highlight a bad stile, not a good one.
>
> More here
> http://www.ramblers.org.uk/get-involved/join-the-big-pathwatch.aspx
>
> Key squares here, only visible if not logged in
> https://bigpathwatch.ramblers.org.uk/map-of-sample-squares
>
> Please do sign up, and complete some squares and add to OSM at the same time.
>
> Phil (trigpoint )

---