[Talk-GB] Little spate of vandalism/mistakes in SE London

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 12:51:57 UTC 2015

On 17/07/2015 09:37, Tom Chance wrote:
> Could someone contact / chase up these new users and remove their
> edits? Could be vandalism, or just people not realising what they're
> doing.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/panchal%20chetana/history
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Solanki%20yuvraj/history
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Dinesh%20rabari/history
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/anilparamar/history

Hi Tom,

I've reverted the changesets in

http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/32696825
http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/32696784
http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/32696745
http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/32696698

All reverted cleanly.  I'm guessing that it's just schoolkids "having a
bit of a laugh" so I've sent a polite first message via changeset
discussion comment to each of them:

"Hello and welcome to OpenStreetMap!  As you've no doubt noticed, edits
that you make update the one shared map that everyone sees. That's why
it's important that only valid edits are made to the map.  If you want
to experiment with the editors, you can do so over at
http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org (an exact copy of the main site apart
from the map display).  If you want to map an imaginery world,
http://opengeofiction.net/ might be what you're looking for. However if
you want to stick around and update the map with things that genuinely
exist in this part of south London please do so!"

I'm guessing they're more local to you than me, so it might be better
for any further followup to come from a Londoner (if the school or
geography teacher involved comes up in conversation, assuming that there
is one, contacting them might be good too).

Cheers,

Andy