[Talk-GB] UK style rendering port ...

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Jul 27 07:43:36 UTC 2015

Lester Caine wrote:
> The other area that I am looking to roll back

First, I wouldn't think in terms of "rolling back" at all.

Cartography for a UK tileset could and should be designed from scratch. If
you really want to start with an existing tileset then use OSM Bright, not
osm-carto, but I'm not convinced that's necessary. We're much more likely to
get a coherent, UK-friendly style by thinking about it from first principles
than by adapting osm-carto with its eight-year heritage (and all the
attendant compromises).

Second, let's not start with raster rendering. Let's build this as a vector
tileset from the start, with in-browser/on-device rendering.

Vectors have lighter infrastructure needs, and enable clickable POIs and
on-the-fly restyling. The UK is small enough that we could just run it
through tilemaker (https://github.com/systemed/tilemaker) without the need
for a complex stack. The two disadvantages are that the very oldest browsers
will struggle, and that (for now) minutely updates don't happen unless you
build that complex stack - but that's fine, we still have osm-carto for
instant feedback.

Let's build tomorrow's map, not yesterday's; and who knows, maybe osm-carto
might want to borrow from some of our advances in months to come!

Richard