[Talk-GB] UK style rendering port ...

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 10:04:40 UTC 2015

Completely agree with Richard,

New rendering styles are a chance to start afresh with the technologies &
perspectives from 10 (or 11) years worth of experience. This does not just
mean vector tiles (although my feeling is these are still 'bleeding-edge'),
but also potentially more use of LUA and/or more complex database-side
post-processing: this is particularly true when considering rendering a
smaller area such as Britain & Ireland., where the constraints of database
update are less overwhelming.

There are plenty of trivial things which can be done now with a new render
which are harder for existing styles: such as making use of the hstore
column.

A much tougher thing to try would be to find a way to include more of the
mapping community in establishing what is wanted: not just vociferous
voices on the mailing list & github, nor the bias inherent in a
'do-ocracy'.

Jerry