[Talk-GB] OS Open Names

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Wed Jun 3 17:57:29 UTC 2015

Hi,
I've been looking at OS Open Names, part of the Ordnance Survey Open
Data. OS notified me that OS Locator will be withdrawn, hinted that
Codepoint Open will be withdrawn too and that OS Open Names is the
combined replacement. OS Open Names is published under OGL, so it is
compatible with OSM's licence.

The OS Open Names data has place names, road names and postcode
centroids, all with location fields. Original OS open data was
positioned to a square metre, the new locations have decimal parts of
metres which may make them a bit more accurate, possibly millimetre
accurate.

I have extracted the postcode data from OS Open Names and generated a
fresh set of postcode tiles to look at. The centroid locations are
different from the Codepoint Open and ONS locations, but all that I have
checked seem an appropriate location, and possibly more useful. The
difference is more than the sub-metre accuracy improvements. You can use
oscompare[1] to see the new postcode centroids alongside the older
centroids. I've made the Open Names postcodes magenta to distinguish
them - I think I prefer red but I'll leave that for another day. You can
use the tiles in JOSM and P2 using the url below[2]

The OS Locator replacement has a significant drawback: OS Locator had a
field for the road name and a field for the road reference. OS Open
Names ignores the reference for any road, or section of a road, that has
name, only showing the reference for unnamed roads. (thanks to Robert
(ris) for drawing my attention to this).

I now have the data extracted and reprojected to replace OS grid refs
with lon, lat. If anyone is interested in this data I can supply it,
please ask.

[1]
http://oscompare.raggedred.net/?zoom=17&lat=53.95537&lon=-1.03351&layers=B00FFTFT

[2] http://www.raggedred.net/tiles/opennames/{z}/{x}/{y}.png