[Talk-GB] Is a saddlery limited to horses? (BE English)

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 8 15:12:47 UTC 2015

I would limit it to animals in general, not just horses - donkeys,
camels, ostriches, elephants, giant tortoises etc etc can also have
saddles. It can also be used in other contexts such as engineering,
where it would mean a component for spreading a load evenly in some way.
Motorcycles also have saddles, not seats (with the possible exception of
some three-piece suites on wheels?)

But car seats are definitely not saddlery IMHO, they come under
upholstery.

Colin

On 2015-03-08 14:46, Andreas Goss wrote:

> Just having a discussion here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:craft%3Dsaddler [1]
>
> In German you also often find something like a "Autosattlerei" which means car-saddlery (usually doing car seats). Does the word not have the same meaning in English? In German there always seems to be a bit of a overlapp with upholsterer and saddler, it seems like this isn't the case in English so saddler should really be limited to horses, is that correct?

Links:
------
[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:craft%3Dsaddler