[Talk-GB] Next East Midlands mapping event (May)

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 14:03:10 UTC 2015

3 of us met on Saturday (myself, SomeoneElse and Mot from
Sheffield/Rotherham) to do some footpath mapping in the far north of
Nottinghamshire: still an under-mapped area despite a lot of recent work by
Nigel Greens in particular.

I haven't calculated how many km of new paths (or existing paths) have been
tagged as PRoWs from this effort, but you can see our targets and some of
the routes we walked on umap
<http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/prow-north-notts_30614#13/53.4101/-0.8871>
(green were targets, red PRoW already on OSM, blue GPS traces). Also this
<http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/8fZ>overpass query gives a feel for what was
added (dashed lines tend to represent pre-existing ways which have had
designation added. I also made a number of Mapillary sequences
<http://www.mapillary.com/map/im/bbox/53.337638435061905/53.45964197642193/-1.1312484741210938/-0.6622695922851562>
for anyone who cares to add more detail.

Of course another benefit of being in the area was adding detail in 4
villages, and the newish speed limits (& SPECS cameras) along the A631. So,
from my perspective, another highly productive day.

I'm now looking to schedule another similar event in early May. By far and
away the likeliest date is Saturday 9th May (w/e after Bank Holiday), but
will send a Doodle poll to the list giving some possible alternatives.

The location will be in or around the Vale of Belvoir, Leicestershire, and
we will continue to focus on footpaths, with distinct morning & afternoon
sessions and a pub lunch.

Cheers,

Jerry