[Talk-GB] GB postcodes

Mick Orridge mso1 at lineone.net
Wed Mar 25 17:43:24 UTC 2015

On the subject of postcodes, I have generated approximate regions from
the ONS postcode data for postcode areas, districts and sectors which
can be downloaded as shp files here:-

http://www.gismosoftware.co.uk/postcode-data.php

They are free to download and use under the ODbL license.

The generation method is detailed here:-

http://www.gismosoftware.co.uk/generation-method.php

Please don't add these to the OSM database as they are not real objects,
and are only an approximation.

I guess they could be made available as overlays in the same way as the
postcode points, I'll investigate when I get a few spare minutes!

They could also be used to check for incorrect postcodes held in the OSM
database e.g. an NE postcode found in the NG postcode area would almost
certainly be incorrect but care would be need near the polygon edges as
a DE postcode just within the NG area may well be correct due to the
generation method.

--
Regards,

Mick Orridge