[Talk-GB] GB postcodes

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Wed Mar 25 22:13:35 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Mar/25/2015, Pmailkeey . wrote:
> On 25 March 2015 at 18:25, Dan S <danstowell+osm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Postcodes are very valuable for routing - people outside OSM use
> > them
> > very heavily for that. Postcodes are not even a minority concern.

[...]

> I can't imagine anyone using postcodes for routing. Postcodes, I guess
> are
> only of use to Royal Mail for the purpose of organising delivery
> rounds and
> abbreviating locations inaccurately.

I do use them, when I usee Google Maps - when I want an approximate
route it's the quickest way to pin down place.

In the UK (at least in London) a postcode is a very small zone so it's
very useful. In other countries a postcode is too big to be useful.

Not to mention that there are streets with the same name or almost the
same name so the postcode serves to double check that the street is the
wanted one.

--
Carles Pina i Estany
	Web: http://pinux.info || Blog: http://pintant.cat