[Talk-GB] Benches (was Quarterly Project "All things delivery-related" - an update)

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Sat May 9 16:27:07 UTC 2015

Hello,

I've forgotten if I said this in this list, if so my apologies.

A line got my attention "As the map becomes more and more "complete" it
becomes harder and harder to find something to map". I don't have lot of
experience mapping and I do agree... in some areas is hard to find
missing things.

If you want: add benches, many are missing! I think that they are important for many reasons.

Friend of mine (phone side) and I (mostly server side) wrote an iPhone
app:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/benches/id962734704?mt=8
(I think that we are pending Apple to approve an update)

Motivation:
http://pintant.cat/2015/04/12/benches-app-iphone/

In a nutshell, when I was doing the London LOOP I wondered "should I eat
here or wait for a bench". Also I've seen my grandad not being able to
walk much without resting. So when I'll be old I'd like to have benches
from where I'll live.

Overpass for benches:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/9g4

Regards,

On May/06/2015, Rob Nickerson wrote:
> That's interesting. Have just tried the app out. It gives you the postboxes
> in OpenStreetMap but not the ones that are missing (as shown by blue
> markers on Robert's comparison tool:
> http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postboxes/
>
> I really do feel like we are missing a trick here. As the map becomes more
> and more "complete" it becomes harder and harder to find something to map
> (example: I spend more time trying to find missing footpaths that I can map
> on a circular walk now than 2-3 years ago).
>
> An app that helps people find what's missing whilst out surveying could
> really help. I only wish I had the skills and time to do this.
>
> Regards,
> Rob
>
> On 6 May 2015 at 11:29, SK53 <sk53.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Are you aware of the the PostBox Finder
> > <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.elbatrop.postboxes&hl=en>app
> > from Elbatrop?
> >
> > I had a quick play with it ages ago, adding some collection times to
> > existing post boxes.
> >
> > Jerry

> >> postboxes
> >> increase
> >> some

> >> Wow there are loads of postboxes still missing. Wouldn't it be great if
> >> there was a
> >> smartphone app that you could load missing points in to and it would tell
> >> you about
> >> them as you travel around. It would be like a guide to where to go
> >> mapping!
> >>
> >> Geocaching for postboxes anyone?
> >>
> >> Rob

Carles Pina i Estany