[Talk-GB] Ref names on Residential roads

SomeoneElse lists at atownsend.org.uk
Tue May 12 09:11:46 UTC 2015

On 12/05/2015 09:52, Bob Kerr wrote:
> On residential roads where there has been a ref=**** added is being
> rendered on Mapnik. Is this something new since I have not been
> checking recently. This is all over the highlands
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/57.5695/-4.4282

I don't think that it's a rendering change but just that someone has
decided to apply internal unsigned council-generated refs to these
roads.  If they're not signed I'd have thought that "official_ref" was
more appropriate here - if someone wants to render the data they can,
but it's no use to general map users.

It's been mentioned before:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22official_ref%22+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Flists.openstreetmap.org%2Fpipermail%2Ftalk-gb&btnG=Search&tbs=li%3A1

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22admin_ref%22+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Flists.openstreetmap.org%2Fpipermail%2Ftalk-gb&btnG=Search&tbs=li%3A1

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22c+roads%22+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Flists.openstreetmap.org%2Fpipermail%2Ftalk-gb&btnG=Search&tbs=li%3A1

The roads you link to have been like that for nearly a year:

Where "C road refs" (that aren't signed, and aren't available from a
suitably-licensed source) have appeared locally to me I've removed them
though I'm aware (see the recent C-roads discussion on this list) that
they sometimes are signed - I've seen them myself.  With these "U" refs
I'd suggest that local mappers discuss with the person adding them
whether it's the best way to store the data.  It may be that they really
are signed usable references - not just something made up in a council
office and never used outside of there.

Cheers,

Andy

PS:  UK taginfo showing use of various "ref" tags:

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/search?q=ref