[Talk-GB] HOT in the UK

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Fri May 15 09:45:55 UTC 2015

Hi Paul,

The closest to a formal organisation is the Missing Maps
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Missing_Maps_Project> project which has
regular evening sessions in London. Several regular OSM contributors are
formal members
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Members> of HOT
(Harry Wood, Nick Allen (tallguy) and Tim Waters (chippy) come to mind),
and others often help out at Missing Maps sessions. I would suggest perhaps
getting directly in contact with Nick
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Tallguy>as he has put considerable
efforts into training and co-ordination.

In practice there is much which can be done from any computer. The way HOT
organises tasks these days uses the HOT Tasking Manager
<http://tasks.hotosm.org/>. I noticed with the current activity in Nepal
that activity on the usual OSM IRC channels was tiny compared with previous
disasters of this scale. This suggests that the typical activities have
become more-or-less regularised. My own experience looking at Nepal mapping
is that the large volume of data created will require a considerable effort
to clean it up to what I would regard as reasonable OSM standards. However,
it is presumably "good enough" for the tasks immediately at hand. There is
an existing community of mappers in Nepal, including regular visitors from
Europe, but the disaster struck at a point where tagging standards were
developing.

A more challenging approach which might be more than you are prepared to
commit would be to possibly persuade your employer to host something like a
Missing Maps event.

One last thing there are now fairly regular Maptime <http://maptime.io/>events
in Southampton <https://twitter.com/MaptimeSOTON> which might be a good way
to make some local contacts as well.