[Talk-GB] HOT in the UK

Nick Allen nick.allen.54 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 21:03:07 UTC 2015

Hi Paul,

Although it's registered in the US, we're scattered all over the world.

Mapathons are starting to take place all over the UK, and the best place
to check what is coming up soon is at http://www.missingmaps.org/ or on
the Event Calendar here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page.
The most frequent sessions seem to be in London but there have been many
in other places including Exeter and Portsmouth.

It's actually me who's been recently involved in updating LearnOSM,
specifically the http://learnosm.org/en/coordination/ sections, so I
hope I don't put too much of an accent on it! At least one other member
of the HOT training working group is in the UK, and there are many
others who contribute to HOT from the UK, but it's quite often difficult
to work out where someone actually is.

I've set up a very small group that I've trained, and we try to meet
twice a week in Swanley, Kent
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/51.3953/0.1723) and if you're ever
in this neck of the woods, you would be most welcome.

If I can help with anything else, please get in touch.

Regards

Nick
(Tallguy)

On 15/05/15 10:02, Wittle, Paul wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've subscribed to this message list because I'm looking around to see
> if there is any organised UK group which deals with HOT projects. I
> believe this is a US based NGO setup to coordinate the use of OSM for
> disaster relief efforts after major events such as the recent
> earthquakes in Nepal.
>
> Whilst I'd love to be doing OSM edits in my spare time I've been
> struggling to find time to get involved with job changes and children
> over the past 5 years or so. I would very much like to get involved
> with mapping for disaster recovery and my current employer permits us
> to take time off work for voluntary causes. I suspect they would
> approve of my doing a day to help the disaster recovery processes and
> it seems that HOT is the international group which organises that
> effort on OSM. In order to do this I need be able to explain to my
> employer what I would be doing and who I would be doing it for.
>
> I wondered if there is a formal group for HOT in the UK and if anyone
> runs UK based training following the http://learnosm.org material
> setup by HOT?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Paul Wittle
>
> "This e-mail is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may
> contain information about individuals or other sensitive information
> and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee
> (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or
> use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this email
> in error, kindly disregard the content of the message and notify the
> sender immediately. Please be aware that all email may be subject to
> recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation."

Nick

Volunteer 'Tallguy' for
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Tallguy