[Talk-GB] Possible collaboration with Amey

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue May 19 06:35:43 UTC 2015

We certainly could do with much more input to improve a whole load of
information in Wales. From two recent visits it is clear that much of the
road network extant on OSM originated from NPE maps and similar. There are
substantial improvements which can be made just be re-aligning roads to
existing GPS tracks. Furthermore, on Anglesey at least, many roads classed
as highway=unclassified are more likely to be farm service roads.

There are other issues in Wales too: we have no consistent way to approach
bilingual place & street names, and certainly in many places existing names
do not reflect the actual languages used locally (or for that matter in
some council data sets). Historically, we have always had a sparse
community of contributors in Wales, but it is an area with some excellent
initiatives and resources which make use of social media in fields close to
OSM: notably those coming from the National Library, such as Cymru 1914,
the Peoples Collection, and the 1900 place names site.

More engagement with people who live in, rather than visit, Wales would be
all to the good.

Jerry