[Talk-GB] too many universities in Cambridge

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Fri May 22 13:32:04 UTC 2015

> On 22 May 2015, at 12:30, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
>
> Does the main OSM rendering understand building=university?

Yes, for example this building at Heriot-Watt University: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/22881764 <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/22881764> where I used the university=building tag over 6 years ago. With the grounds of the university being tagged amenity=university: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4388535 <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4388535> I apply a similar principle to schools.

Mapnik will render any building value, except building=no. There are some building values which get special treatment.
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/project.mml#L468 <https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/project.mml#L468>
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/buildings.mss <https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/buildings.mss>

Shaun