[Talk-GB] too many universities in Cambridge

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri May 22 14:28:36 UTC 2015

On 22/05/15 15:00, Dan S wrote:
>>> Andy, the operator tags are all the same, not the building names.
>> >
>> > No, they really aren't.
>> >
>> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/148247775 - "Churchill College
>> > (University of Cambridge)"
>> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/12861651 - "University of Cambridge"
>> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/98523431 - "Clare College (University
>> > of Cambridge)"
> but David's using a constrained and documented set of operator tags,
> not free-text. I think that's good. The oxbridge college system makes
> this a difficult case study! I think the operator tags here are
> appropriate.

The only problem with this type of data is that there is no
'cross-reference' ... my places hierarchy would have 'University of
Cambridge' as a main place, and each of the collages would then have a
place referencing 'University of Cambridge'.  One can then flag a single
'University of Cambridge' icon at a macro level, and switch to icons for
the collages at a suitable scale. That data in the map can then be
cross-referenced from the master objects ... and be highlighted when a
particular place is selected.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL