[Talk-GB] too many universities in Cambridge

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sat May 23 11:15:58 UTC 2015

Hi

Going minorly off on a tangent - One item I would change is
leisure=pitch which current represents whole areas of sports grounds to
leisure=recreation_ground, & have leisure=pitch to indicate just the
pitches (ie the white lines of a football pitch). Currently there are
situations with two 'pitches' on top of each other.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/51.40868/-2.37860

David Fox

On 22/05/2015 14:58, David Earl wrote:
> Yes, the operator tags are the same when it is the same institution -
> the colleges are independent institutions, part of the larger
> federation. This is part of the complexity of this.
>
> I'm not arguing I don't want to change anything, just that there's too
> much gratuitous change which breaks real, existing products because of
> hypothetical futures.The wiki analogy is wrong here I think - that's
> the content. It's much more an API, as I think you were essentially
> agreeing, and people go to great lengths to try to maintain backward
> compatibility, only deprecating things when they absolutely have to.
>
> And it's not so much me not wanting to change things, of course change
> happens, it's random, arbitrary, incompatible change that is such a
> problem to deal with. Dan's not arguing for that, and I've already
> said I'll look at it and see what's involved. But not today!
>

> On Fri, 22 May 2015 at 14:49 Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com
> <mailto:gravitystorm at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 22 May 2015 at 14:27, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com
>     <mailto:david at frankieandshadow.com>> wrote:
>     > Andy, the operator tags are all the same, not the building names.
>
>     No, they really aren't.
>
>     http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/148247775 - "Churchill College
>     (University of Cambridge)"
>     http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/12861651 - "University of Cambridge"
>     http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/98523431 - "Clare College (University
>     of Cambridge)"
>
>     > But also the assertion "within a few dozen miles" is wrong, as for
>     > Nottingham in China.
>
>     Read what I said, please:
>
>     >> If there were two objects tagged as universities with
>     >> identical names within a few dozen miles, I could make a guess they
>     >> are the same university and write some rendering rules to suit.
>
>     I make no assertion that all parts of the same university are within a
>     dozen miles.
>
>     I hope you realise that your tagging (using tags that imply 1200
>     different universities) is causing problems, and think "what could I
>     do to help other people" rather than "I don't want to change
>     anything".
>
>     Thanks,
>     Andy

---