[Talk-GB] too many universities in Cambridge

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat May 23 11:41:13 UTC 2015

On 22 May 2015 at 14:58, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:

> Yes, the operator tags are the same when it is the same institution - the
> colleges are independent institutions, part of the larger federation.

Is it necessary to show the college <=> university relationship in
OSM? If we tag one (set of) structures as "King's College", and
another as "Peterhouse", won't that suffice?

Another approach would be to label each college with the equivalent
Wikidata identifier:

   King's College = Q924289
   (resolves to https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q924289 )

   Peterhouse = Q650068
   (resolves to https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q650068 )

Wikidata then shows each as an "instance of" a "college of the
University of Cambridge" (Q1055028)

(Whatever approach we take; there is benefit in including Wikidata IDs.)

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing