[Talk-GB] too many universities in Cambridge

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat May 23 12:34:52 UTC 2015

On 23/05/15 12:02, David Earl wrote:
> There is a problem having 'operator=Magdalene College' and similar
> rather than operator='Magdalene College (University of Cambridge)'

Although I think, where operator is  used at all, it is largely used
with a loose choice of name, in this case, if you want an unambiguous
name for use in the UK, simply use the formal name of the royal charter
company, i.e. "Magdalene College Cambridge" and "Magdalene College
Oxford" (company numbers RC000333 and RC000334 respectively), rather
than a name based on their trading name.

Legally these are the legal names of the entities that own and operate
the land in question.

Companies house actually use monocase, so the capitalisation is arbitrary.

If you want globally unique names, I think you need an additional tag to
indicate the namespace (England or Wales registered company, in this case).

Note that the name attribute is generally the trading as name, which is
also consistent with the "what is on the ground" principle.  If you
actually used the company name for most MacDonalds people would find it
very confusing, as a lot of them are franchises run by companies with
MacDonalds nowhere in their name.  For operator, I would expect to see
the legal entity.