[Talk-GB] too many universities in Cambridge

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sat May 23 12:57:59 UTC 2015

On 23/05/2015 12:49, David Earl wrote:
> I'm sure there are many ways of doing this, but that is what I did.
>
> This thread seems determined to undermine the University of Cambridge
> map by wanting to change everything it relies on.

Those who add/amend data to OSM do so to make it the most accurate
database possible.

You appear to be against change because it would affect the "University
of Cambridge map". This is tagging for the renderer & is to be discouraged.

> I did spend a long time thinking about how to do it at the beginning
> of the project, and did publish the details then. Reorganising it
> dramatically four years on for the sake of it would probably mean U of
> C abandoning OSM as being too costly to maintain.

A days work?

I'm in the process of updating PROWS from the way I initially tagged
them to the newer, agreed method as it improves the quality of the
database. Extra work for me, but worth it for the good of OSM.

David Fox

---