[Talk-GB] Newark on Trent mappers

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 13:19:34 UTC 2015

I've finally (after 8 months) got around to looking at the OpenMap Local
buildings. I needed them for something else which caused me to download the
SK data. I'll say more in a blog post, but for now here are two comparisons
of OpenMap Local buildings with EA Lidar data (DSM-DTM & Z axis
accentuated):

   - Central Newark (note parish church bottom left):
   https://flic.kr/p/ARUvRv
   - Residential area to E of town centre (note terraces):
   https://flic.kr/p/ARUvQP

I've also put a few comparisons of Nottingham between OSM & OpenMap
buildings.

Generally I'd say that the OpenMap Local buildings, although better than
VMD, still have some of the same problems, and particularly that very
similar buildings (such as the terraced houses) may be shown differently,
or that discrete buildings are merged in unpredictable ways. It's also a
bit disappointing that the main medieval building, the parish church is
just shown as a box. The Lidar data looks to have more promise as a base
line for creating buildings. There may be scope to use the OpenMap Local
buildings on a case-by-case basis where these clearly match the
Lidar/Aerial imagery, or where the building shape is obviously simplified &
can be improved (parish church again). I would advise not touching things
like most of the housing and the merged buildings in the central retail
areas. My experience with working with such data is that splitting &
refining such buildings is often a lot more work than drawing them from
scratch.

I have Geotiffs for the DTM, DSM, their difference & hillshaded versions of
the DSM & difference. However I have failed to get these to load in JOSM.
If someone else know the trick do let me know.

Regards,

Jerry