[Talk-GB] Spamdalism caught

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 11:03:14 UTC 2015

On 19/10/2015 17:05, Amaroussi (OpenStreetMap) wrote:
> FYi, I just reverted a small yet disruptive case of spamdalism by user “Office Cleaners London” (did I just invent a new term for OSM?).
>
> Reverting changeset: http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/34735686
>
> Offending changesets: http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/34468479 and http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/34468339
>
> What should we do with the user “Office Cleaners London”?

I'd send them a polite message via a changeset discussion comment
explaining what went wrong with their edit.

Perhaps explain that if they're a genuine bricks-and-mortar business
that exists in the physical world we'd love to have them in OSM, and
perhaps point them at http://onosm.org as a way to get a note added to
avoid them having to tangle with one of the OSM editors.  Oddly, the
address on their website is up near London Bridge rather than south of
Elephant and Castle, which might be something else to mention.

Someone "changing a road to be a POI" looks more like a cockup than a
conspiracy* to me.  There are spammers adding stuff to OSM (though
thankfully more in the USA than here); most are better at it than this.

Cheers,

Andy

* (c) Bernard Ingham