[Talk-GB] temporary food markets

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 16:45:52 UTC 2015

I have to disagree with Phil here: it's not an open and shut case.

Lots and lots of ordinary markets are only visible on market days: in
Nottingham Bulwell & Hyson Green markets are only active some days of the
week, and we have mapped them. Worksop, which I haven't mapped, largely
because it is the length of the pedestrian precinct, is Wed, Fri, Sat.
Melton & Oakham have thriving markets on certain days of the week. At least
in some of these cases there is permanent evidence of a marketplace (e.g.,
signage, traffic restrictions etc).

On the other hand we don't map the Old Market Square in Nottingham which
has numerous event-based markets during the year, and a fairly regular
Farmer's Market. Similarly there seem to be only 2 car boot sales mapped on
OSM <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=car_boot#values>.

I can think of a few regular markets abroad which show there are other
complications:

   - Helvetiaplatz, has a bi-weekly market
   <http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2463960533> which leaves little or no
   vestiges.
   - Dinan. On market days, the market area reverts to being a car park.
   <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/25616217>
   - Rynek, Krakow. There's a regular flower market here until around 13:00
   every day, slightly inaccurately mapped (both in location & as distinct
   shops <http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2500686525>).

I think whether to map them really depends on a judgement about there
relative longevity; local importance; and/or cultural significance (e.g.,
markets in historical marketplaces), The amenity=marketplace tag does not
show up on renderings so it has low impact on most consumers. There are
clearly lots of subtleties in tagging things like this which may or may not
discourage one from trying.

Jerry