[Talk-GB] Cerne Abbas Giant - how best to tag it?

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 19:27:50 UTC 2015

Currently the Cerne Abbas Giant is suffering from an extreme bit of
"tagging for the renderer" - for example
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/320313087 is apparently a "driveway".

Is there a more usual way to tag the constituent parts of this sort of
thing?  A couple of the white horses are "tourism=attraction"* - e.g.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/116991392 and
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2390028/ .

I'm asking here rather than trying to make something up because I'm not
local, and if anyone adopts it I suspect that they'll need to keep an
eye on changes to it to stop people "helpfully" tagging it for the
standard renderer as something it isn't.

Cheers,

Andy

* chosen I suspect in part because OSM Carto did used to render
"tourism=attraction" areas and multipolygons as other than a label, but
this was changed - see
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/1063 and
references from it.