[Talk-GB] Restoring a usable map service!

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Oct 31 21:51:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 10/31/2015 10:24 PM, Lester Caine wrote:
> My only complaint is that many decisions are still unilateral rather
> than considered.

I'd say they are considered - but by those who do the work, not by the
general public who might also have an opinion. The amount of
consideration that has happend on this particular map style change is
already way more than one could reasonably expect from people working at
this in their spare time.

> Personally I could be contributing a lot more to the
> software if it was using main stream tools rather than some of the
> exotic elements that seem to be the in thing because of someone's pet
> interest.

... says the person who was trying to replace our established
Apache-based tile serving with newfangled Nginx ;)

> How much bigger would the programmer base have been if a different base
> had been adopted at the start. It's problematic enough adding python,
> perl and java to a base of C/C++, PHP, javascript, css and html without
> adding Ruby into the mix,

I agree that if you want to understand, handle, and improve OSM across
the full toolchain, from editing to API to tile serving, you *do* have
to be proficient in a frightening amount of technologies. But in the
same way that you don't need a degree in engineering to drive a car, it
should be possible to set up a tile server even if you know neither
C/C++ nor Javascript or Ruby.

As for the remainder of your posting, about a "single base" and how all
this is somehow related to a few colours changing on the osm.org map, I
think you lost me there.

Bye
Frederik