[Talk-GB] New map style

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 31 21:59:16 UTC 2015

I was thinking the same. The new colour scheme is not what I am used to,
but having said that, it is kinda growing on me... But the colour
schemes are part of the local culture for many people, and you will
never suit all of the people all of the time. It is definitely time we
had a framework which allowed some choice about rendering
styles/locales.

So why no storm of protest? Could be apathy? Futility? Nobody there? Or
does everybody think it's a great move and a big improvement?

The change could have been managed better, like proper announcements a
couple of months ahead of time, with a date - "On 30th October OSM will
switch to a new stylesheet for the standard map. For information about
what this will mean for you, click here" on some main web page springs
to mind. I fear the mailing lists, and (even worse) IRC don't have a
wide enough reach, and if they are the main discussion forum for changes
of this magnitude, it makes the whole business feel a bit like a
two-tier club, with the inner circle privy to all kinds of information,
and the rest having to put up or shut up.

I have not seen anywhere a description of which "problems" this new
rendering is intended to fix... It is different, but is it better?

//colin