[Talk-GB] New map style

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sat Oct 31 22:27:26 UTC 2015

On 31/10/15 21:59, Colin Smale wrote:

> The change could have been managed better, like proper announcements a
> couple of months ahead of time, with a date - "On 30th October OSM
> will switch to a new stylesheet for the standard map. For information
> about what this will mean for you, click here" on some main web page
> springs to mind.

I must have missed seeing your offer to manage the process. I suspect
the guys making the changes (in their spare time, who don't get paid for
this and certainly get very little praise for stepping up the plate)
would have really liked having a deadline set for the job months ahead,
with their paid jobs, their families and social life getting in the way
of meeting your deadline.

I quite like the change. There a few things that I would like to see
tweaked, but I don't care much, I have my own renders which I like.

We should all keep in mind that the standard map on the OSM website is
not OSM. It is just a single render as an example of what is possible.
There are thousands of renders out there (I must have made more than a
dozen). Making your own map tiles in your own style is not that hard and
not very hard or expensive to host if you have a real need to do it.
Getting access to the data is the point of OSM. You can use it yourself,
so rather than bitch about the style or the process or the
communication, why not just make your map tiles and be happy. Or
actually pitch in to really help.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly