[Talk-GB] New map style

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 22:28:20 UTC 2015

> I don't like it.

I like it :)

Much more legible, less messy, than it was.

> It very simple, the colours should match the road sign colours: Blue, Green,
> Red!

Not obvious to me why that would be a requirement, but I guess it's
fine as a starting point for a UK-only map style... (...which this
isn't!)

> Anything else is just form over function.
>
> Stop playing with aesthetics and concentrate on functionality.

Well, the designers have described their motivation as legibility.
https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2015/10/30/openstreetmap-org-map-changing/
Legibility for a rendered map is _indeed_ functionality.

Re Amaroussi's first question, I guess the other thread (the "usable
map service" thread) has acted as the lighting-rod so far?

Best
Dan