[Talk-GB] 10th Anniversary Rutland Mapping Party?

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 10:05:18 UTC 2015

I would think late Spring/early Summer are suitable times (after university
exams).

I think many people camped at Oakham last time around, so warmer months
with longer daylight seem sensible for that reason as well. There are B&Bs
and a limited number of cheaper hotels (a Travelodge near Uppingham, a
Premier Inn at Melton and, just possibly, a new budget hotel in Oakham).

My rough idea would be:

   - Week before: MapCraft or Tasking Manager armchair mapping (buildings,
   woods, hedgerows etc)
   - Friday afternoon: footpath mapping (for those interested)
   - Friday evening: social get together
   - Saturday: mainly mapping outside the towns: details of villages,
   footpaths.
   - Sunday: more villages, but a focus on getting Oakham & Uppingham done

It would be nice if we could link up with local people in some villages on
the Saturday to get more local context; and perhaps some kind of public
event in either Oakham or Uppingham.

General targets might include:

   - Details of PRoW (stiles, gates etc are missing on many in the county)
   - Listed buildings (many churches don't even have a religion tag)
   - New developments, notably Oakham Heights 1100 new houses being built
   on the old Agricultural Showground at Oakham
   - Countryside detail: hedges, streams, woods etc.
   - Addresses in Oakham & Uppingham
   - Mapillary sequences, particularly of footpaths & country roads.
   - Disabled & wheelchair access for pubs (do we need an excuse?)

But, critically what Rutland needs most of all is comprehensive revision.
Adjacent areas of Leicestershire & Lincs may be usefully covered as well.

Last time I think people used the Rutland County Library as a base. Other
possibilities might be feasible (County Museum, one of the private
schools).

Andy & RIchard generated a fair amount of media interest 10 years ago, so
this is also something we should aim to emulate.

I'll start a page on the wiki shortly, and perhaps will do a doodle poll to
assess which weekend is most suitable.

Cheers,

Jerry