[Talk-GB] Village, Hamlet and populations ...

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Sep 13 23:16:28 UTC 2015

I'm currently working around the area trying to get all the local places
cross referenced properly. I've got The 2012 Index of Places from the
ONS which has a supposedly complete set of places, but I've been hitting
a number of problems which I think I've finally sussed.

The OSM wiki defines 'hamlet' as less than 100-200 people, but village
supposedly starts at 1000 up to 10000 with the proviso that it depends
on the country. Ideally the two would perhaps meet :) We are perhaps
looking at a population of around 8000 for a town designation in the UK,
but anything down to 100 is still classified as a village by the ONS.
What are actually missing from the OSN data are ANY hamlets despite
their claiming to include them.

My first exercise was to add links on the OSM data to the wikipedia
entry for each village, and there is a small list of miss matches which
I'm trying to sort out. However when cross referencing the population
data reported by wikipedia quoting the 2011 census, but what that fails
to account for is that only provides totals for the whole parish, which
may have more than one hamlet/village. The IOP data contains the 'BUA'
population for the villages, but omits the rest of the hamlets that make
up the parish/ward.

The IOP data is released under the Open Government Licence V2 so I see
no problem using it in OSM or Wikipedia? I think what we are still
looking for is a consistent list of hamlets to work from to fill in the
gaps? The IOP data was supposed to be updated annually, but it seems
only annual updates are currently being generated.

To add to the fun, the six digit codes I've been using for LLPG data for
many years have been replaced by a 9 digit code. While the 6 digit code
had a nice three level structure, the 9 digit code has lost the third
layer, but these still only go down to the ward/parish level. There is
still no ID for the town/village :(

And Scotland and Northern Ireland are separate data sets ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL