[Talk-GB] Village, Hamlet and populations ...

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Sep 13 23:41:00 UTC 2015

On 14/09/15 00:16, Lester Caine wrote:

> The OSM wiki defines 'hamlet' as less than 100-200 people, but village
> supposedly starts at 1000 up to 10000 with the proviso that it depends
> on the country. Ideally the two would perhaps meet :) We are perhaps
> looking at a population of around 8000 for a town designation in the UK,
> but anything down to 100 is still classified as a village by the ONS.
> What are actually missing from the OSN data are ANY hamlets despite
> their claiming to include them.

Please don't try and draw bright lines based on population, and
certainly don't try and mass edit things based on that. It's much more
subjective than that.

Nobody would ever have described the place where I grew up as anything
other than a town, but we always used to reckon on a population of
around 3000 people (wikipedia says 5627 as of the 2011 census) and
certainly 8000 sounds very high to me.

Equally there were surrounding villages that aren't that much smaller
but which lack things like a High Street and really wouldn't be
described as towns - basically places which had historically been
smaller but had acquired housing in the second half of the 20th century
without necessarily growing in other ways.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/