[Talk-GB] Village, Hamlet and populations ...

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 12:02:10 UTC 2015

Not strictly speaking true: I can instantly think of a counter example
Market Harborough which is clearly a town with a charter from the 13th
century, but ecclesiastically established as a chapel-at-ease to Great
Bowden (see Hosking (1955), *The Making of the English Landscape*, p.
227-228). Railway towns may provide other, more recent examples, the one I
can think of are rather further afield: Rotkreuz
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risch-Rotkreuz>near Luzern (part of Risch,
until 2007 when civil parish renamed).

All this discussion highlights is that it is nigh-on impossible to define
simple criteria for choosing which value to use for the place key. 11 years
of experience in OSM shows that using a single criterion, such as
population, is not sensible.

On the other hand finding a way to access population figures to places for
data consumers is useful. Directly adding population values may work in
Britain where population change is relatively slow, so slowly outdated data
is still useful, but is risky in other parts of the world. At the very
lease also add a link to wikipedia/wikidata as well, which ultimately
should obviate having to maintain population values

Jerry