[Talk-GB] Village, Hamlet and populations ...

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Sep 14 14:22:37 UTC 2015

On 14/09/15 15:04, Richard Symonds wrote:
> Well, the beauty is that you could use just those definitions instead:
> "defined by PC as village"
> "defined by census as town"
> "defined by Local Government Act as parish"
>
> etc etc. Wikidata is very good at keeping track of these, and then the
> reader can simply select whose definition they want to use!

This is the point of linking back to wikipedia which already indicates
the parish, ward and county and THAT is the correct place for it. Moving
that into a searchable format in wikidata will be useful when it can be
completed, but one tends to searching for the parish of xxx or the place
of xxx so having a town and a village both listed is confusing as I have
said. At least a search on OSM will give 'contained in' separate to
'near by', but where boundaries of a place are tagged the same as the
place it gets even more difficult.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL