[Talk-GB] Anybody a member of CAMRA?

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Wed Sep 16 14:24:02 UTC 2015

Hi Andrew

The location was one of the plus points of OSM I mentioned in my email
to them, however, for the ones I've checked they don't appear to be
/that/ bad. They certainly appeared to be better than Google itself
(Inside a roundabout for instance) so I was curious if CAMRA had used
google's geocoder. From there website Is there as way to check?

Dave F>

On 16/09/2015 15:10, Andrew Black wrote:
> My concern is the quality of their location data - they suffer from
> the well known myth that a postcode defines the location.  I have
> helped in a few specific cases but the local branch didn't seem
> interested in for example checking the locaion of pubs before uploading.
> This then leads to concerns that the licence is  problematic as
> presumably googles geocoder has been used.
>

> On 16 Sep 2015 14:11, "Dave F." <davefox at madasafish.com
> <mailto:davefox at madasafish.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>
>     http://whatpub.com/pubs/MAN/9899/eagle-inn-salford
>
>     Considering CAMRA's What Pub? website is volunteer, crowd sourced,
>     I was mildly disappointed to see it using Google maps. I've just
>     this minute written an email to them explaining some of the
>     advantages of using OSM. I thought if any actual CAMRA members
>     here could also chip in it might persuade them to swap over.
>     camra at camra.org.uk. <mailto:camra at camra.org.uk>
>
>     It might even be possible to share databases to improve the
>     quality of both.
>
>     Cheers
>     Dave F.

>     Avast logo <https://www.avast.com/antivirus>