[Talk-GB] Anybody a member of CAMRA?

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Wed Sep 16 16:36:59 UTC 2015

Ancillary data such as beer lists, food, opening times etc, is probably
valuable to CAMRA, but I don't see it as relevant to OSM. These sort of
things change so often, it's out of date almost as soon as it's
recorded. Just a tag to their website is needed.

However a list of just pub names & locations that could be checked
against OSM database would potentially benefit both parities. Pubs that
are only in OSM could be listed in What Pub as a 'to do' so encourage
CAMRA members to pay them a visit.

I was trying to find out how many GB pubs/bars there were in OSM. Didn't
Taginfo used to have a option to just search the UK? It appears to have
been removed. Is there another way?

Dave F.

On 16/09/2015 16:06, SK53 wrote:
> I did discuss this with the local CAMRA representative responsible for
> the pub data, about 18 months ago.
>
> The data in WhatPub should essentially be regarded as a commercial
> dataset which has value for CAMRA (for instance in persuading people
> to join, or as base data for the Good Beer Guide): they are unlikely
> to want to make it freely available to OSM.
>
> On the other hand using an OSM base map ought to be a reasonable thing
> to do.
>
> Jerry
>
> On 16 September 2015 at 15:10, Andrew Black
> <andrewdblack at googlemail.com <mailto:andrewdblack at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     My concern is the quality of their location data - they suffer
>     from the well known myth that a postcode defines the location.  I
>     have helped in a few specific cases but the local branch didn't
>     seem interested in for example checking the locaion of pubs before
>     uploading.
>     This then leads to concerns that the licence is  problematic as
>     presumably googles geocoder has been used.
>

>     On 16 Sep 2015 14:11, "Dave F." <davefox at madasafish.com
>     <mailto:davefox at madasafish.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi
>
>         http://whatpub.com/pubs/MAN/9899/eagle-inn-salford
>
>         Considering CAMRA's What Pub? website is volunteer, crowd
>         sourced, I was mildly disappointed to see it using Google
>         maps. I've just this minute written an email to them
>         explaining some of the advantages of using OSM. I thought if
>         any actual CAMRA members here could also chip in it might
>         persuade them to swap over. camra at camra.org.uk.
>         <mailto:camra at camra.org.uk>
>
>         It might even be possible to share databases to improve the
>         quality of both.
>
>         Cheers
>         Dave F.

>         Avast logo <https://www.avast.com/antivirus>