[Talk-GB] Environment Agency LIDAR datasets OGL licensed now available

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 12:03:53 UTC 2015

I've had a look at the LIDAR data for Attenborough NR and also the RSBP
Medmerry reserve (in the Hundred of Manhood near Selsey). I havent had a
full play but so far it hasnt picked up a small elevation difference which
affects the hydrology of Attenborough (thanks to Sandy Aitken, Volunteer
Reserve Manager for detailed analysis to find this out). See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1qhmc1997kt9it/anr_terrain_contours_1m.png?dl=0.

Medmerry is rather more dramatic. I looked at this because of a twitter
discussion with Liz Scott (@birdmaps) & Amy Robjohns (@amyrobjohsn)
https://twitter.com/amythebirder/status/639688917625761792 . Medmerry is an
area of managed retreat and OSM is somewhat out-of-date, although it has
been partially surveyed. The Lidar data is more recent than any aerial
photos or OS StreetView (and I think VMD etc.) and in particular shows new
sea defences just S of the newly created gap. I havent processed this data
yet in such a way to really highlight the differences in the RSBP area. I
did notice that off Selsey there is a lot of clutter just off-shore (I
think this shoreline is rightly celebrated by wind surfers, so not a total
surprise. I havent tried to do any edits here because I wanted to leave it
in case Liz & Amy had time to tackle it at Southampton MapTime.

I do plan to blog about this, but, usual, will take some time to do so, as
I will include it in a general post on mapping nature reserves.

Jerry