[Talk-GB] Environment Agency LIDAR datasets OGL licensed now available

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Wed Sep 23 14:08:44 UTC 2015

On 23/09/15 14:18, Phil Endecott wrote:
> Has anyone reviewed how useful this LIDAR data would be for 3D city
> mapping?
>
> Chris Hill wrote:
>> The slippy map with relief tiles made from the data and optionally
>> contours also made from the data is here: http://relief.raggedred.net.
>
> Thanks Chris.  I've just been looking at Hull city centre.  It doesn't
> look great; is this the difference between the "terrain model" and the
> "surface model" that they mention? Which are you using?  Have you looked
> at the other one?

It looks pretty realistic to me, I guess you mean it doesn't show
building outlines, but that's why I chose the DTM version.

> Of course I know that the rationale for the data is for flood risk
> evaluation so recording building profiles was not the objective - but
> you never know how something could be re-purposed!

In the blog article
(http://chris-osm.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/more-lidar-goodness.html) I
explain a bit about the difference between DSM and DTM. DSM does include
building outlines. I've processed a small part of the data to see them.
Here's an example of a TIFF of DSM data with the building outlines:
http://raggedred.net/shared/ta0230.tif

Suitably processed this could provide a source of building outlines.

I'm not sure about the age of some of the data. Some recently-built
flood alleviation measures do not show on this EA data but do show on
the Bing aerial imagery

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly