[Talk-GB] Environment Agency LIDAR datasets OGL licensed now available

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 22:45:37 UTC 2015

Sounds good Chris.

No problems with imports from me (assuming the data passes reasonable*
quality assurance). I do feel that the concerns over imports are preventing
OSM from properly innovating. This is a good example of dataset and an
innovative approach that has been made available to us. It would be a shame
if nothing came of it.

You mention trees can cause problems to building heights. Hopefully these
errors are obvious in big urban areas (e.g. if all buildings in a
residential area are of similar height except for a few outliers then it
gives a good indication of where the error is!).

Regards,
Rob

* By reasonable we have to put it in to context of our own manual quality
which is not 100% perfect even for the experienced mapper. We also don't
have a large enough community to invest the number of hours a fully manual
(27million homes) process would require.