[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project April-June 2016

Ed Loach edloach at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 07:30:51 UTC 2016

I was thinking of a different possible project which perhaps we can postpone until a different quarter rather than starting today.

There are a lot of buildings which have been traced from various imagery layers but with no other useful information on them. Is it a shop, a house, what is its address, etc?

I was going to suggest that we spend three months trying to gather the address information for such buildings, and at the end of the quarter remove all the others to give us a better idea of how complete the map is. If we just want approximate building shapes we’ve got OS OpenData for that. At the moment they give a false impression of completeness, and also make it harder without zooming in to work out which areas still need a proper survey.

If the project proves successful we could extend it to farmland areas where hedges and fences haven’t been added to break up the area.

Ed