[Talk-GB] phone boxes used for other purposes

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 17:17:58 UTC 2016

On 16 April 2016 at 16:13, Jack FitzSimons <jack.fitzsimons at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I’m sure it must have been discussed before but how do I map a K6 booth with
> no phone currently used for another purpose? I visited two today intending
> to get the phone numbers but discovered they were both local information
> points.

I normally map these as a node with man_made=telephone_box
(http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/man_made=telephone_box) and
then add whatever other tags are appropriate for the new use. I'll
often also a note=* tag to explain the situation to any mappers who
might come along later and try to add amenity=telephone based on
seeing the box. (I've also come across boxes with no phone and no new
use, in which case it'll just be man_made=telephone_box and a note=*.)

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker