[Talk-GB] UK Chapter Directors' Powers

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Apr 25 13:51:07 UTC 2016

Rob Nickerson wrote:
> The poll we did last year (?) suggested that the OpenStreetMap UK
> community want to be involved in decision making. My suggestion is
> that, if this is the culture we want to breed then the Articles should
> reflect this.

I'm the chairman of a community-owned non-profit[1] limited company here in
Charlbury. We have recently changed our Articles (for entirely unavoidable
reasons). It was a glorious pain in the arse.

I would strongly recommend that the articles should be the most permissive
possible. Unless you have paid admin staff, this sort of thing is horrid to
sort out. If you've got to the stage of resorting to the articles to resolve
member/director conflict, then something went very wrong months ago and you
should have dealt with it then.

Besides, there are much more impactful things people could be doing to
advance the state of OSM in the UK than faffing around with companies
legislation, right?

cheers
Richard

[1] not deliberately, we just don't make any money