[Talk-GB] Defibrillator Mapping

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 28 12:48:47 UTC 2016

Is healthcare going to be our Q2 project?
It would be good to get a co-ordination list on a wiki page somewhere.

I've made a request to the North East Ambulance Service. However they're
aware not everyone informs them, so I'll probably contact some other
organisations I know.
They've previously responded to a request about Sunderland.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/public_access_defibrillators_5#incoming-536749

Gregory.

On 23 April 2016 at 12:37, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Announced yesterday: Tesco is set to introduce defibrillators in over 900
> of its largest stores
>
> http://www.tescoplc.com/index.asp?pageid=17&newsid=1350
>
> Dave F.
>

> On 22/04/2016 14:43, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:
>
>> It was suggested that trying to increase our mapping of public
>> Defibrillators would be a good think. After a bit of digging, it seems
>> that Ambulance Services typically maintain a list of locations, with a
>> view to informing people about them if a 999 call comes in nearby
>> where one might be useful.
>>
>> The different services seem to take quite different views on these
>> lists. My local service (East of England) actively publicise their
>> list (
>> http://www.eastamb.nhs.uk/Get-involved/Community-Public-Access-Defibrillators.htm
>> )
>> on the grounds that raising awareness of the locations will make it
>> more likely that someone will know about and find a defibrillator in
>> an emergency. Other services have refused FOI requests on the (IMO
>> spurious) grounds that publicising the list will make thefts /
>> vandalism more likely, and out of date information may lead to people
>> wasting time in an emergency.
>>
>> Anyway, I've taken the East of England list from
>> http://www.eastamb.nhs.uk/Get%20involved/CPADs/CPAD%20List.pdf , and
>> done a comparison with the OSM data. A rough and ready tool can be
>> found at http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/defib/progress/ for any other
>> locals who want to use it. We've got a small number of locations they
>> haven't, and some of their postcodes may not be quite right. But there
>> are a lot on their list that aren't mapped yet!
>>
>> Regarding tagging, it seems that a lot of the cabinets have a
>> reference number on the outside, so I'd suggest recording that in the
>> ref=* tag. Also, I think a description of the location would be useful
>> (e.g. "Outside wall of McDonalds, facing Store 21") to help people
>> find the defibrillator when they need it. I've been putting something
>> like that in a location=* key.
>>
>> In terms of getting more data, I've put in FOI requests to the East
>> and West Midlands Ambulance Services for starters, so we'll see what
>> line they take...
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Robert.
>>

> ---