[Talk-GB] Postcodes

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Mon Dec 5 20:32:33 UTC 2016

On 05/12/16 20:19, Dave Barter wrote:
> Excuse the noob question as I’ve not been on the list long.
>
> I’m doing a bit of work trying to create an open version of the OS Codepoint Polygons. To do this I need as much postcode data as possible. I’ve been looking at extracting this from OSM and as far as I can tell I’m looking for the following tags:-
>
> -addr:postal_code
> -addr:postcode
> -postal_code
> -postcode
>
> Are there any others I’m missing? And I guess I am (sadly) right in thinking there is not a huge amount of data in there, circa 40-50k records?
>
> Thanks
> Dave

Have you looked at the OS Opendata Codepoint? They are centroids, not
polygons. You can see an overlay on OSM on my map here:

http://oscompare.raggedred.net/?zoom=15&lat=53.73731&lon=-0.48844&layers=BFFTFF
I have a simple overlay, that the map uses, too. More details here:
http://codepoint.raggedred.net/

There are Office of National Statistics postcode files too under Open
Gov licence. They have the same active postcode centroids as Codepoint
but with extra detail for each postcode and expired postcodes too.

--
Cheers, Chris (chillly)