[Talk-GB] Postcodes

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 09:42:43 UTC 2016

On 5 December 2016 at 20:19, Dave Barter <dave at phased.co.uk> wrote:
> Excuse the noob question as I’ve not been on the list long.
>
> I’m doing a bit of work trying to create an open version of the OS Codepoint Polygons. To do this I need as much postcode data as possible. I’ve been looking at extracting this from OSM and as far as I can tell I’m looking for the following tags:-
>
> -addr:postal_code
> -addr:postcode
> -postal_code
> -postcode
>
> Are there any others I’m missing? And I guess I am (sadly) right in thinking there is not a huge amount of data in there, circa 40-50k records?

addr:postcode is the most common tag. postal_code is still used a lot,
particularly as a hangover from edits made before the addr:* tags were
introduced. Though some may continue to use it in a slightly different
context. postcode=* and addr:postal_code=* have far fewer uses, and
are probably only used by mistake.

>From just addr:postcode alone, there are around 725k objects tagged
with around 111k different postcode values in Great Britain (excluding
NI) and some surrounding islands. See
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/keys/addr%3Apostcode for the
stats. That's still quite a way off the 28 million addresses and 1.7
million postcodes in AddressBase/PAF. Not all the postcodes in OSM are
complete or accurate though -- see my tools at
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postcodes/osm-errors.html and
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postcodes/location-errors.cgi .

Robert.

--