[Talk-GB] Local Authority rights of way information

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 11:50:14 UTC 2016

On 21/12/2016 11:32, Dave F wrote:
> Interesting. Under what license to you believe East Riding issued the
> data that ROWmaps is using?

The actual page at the rowmaps site is:

http://www.rowmaps.com/datasets/EY/

It seems to say (and I'm paraphrasing) "ERYC say it's Crown Copyright,
but the OS say 'All data exempted by Ordnance Survey is now covered by
the Open Government Licence (OGL)' [but they don't say what data is
exempted]" and then says "So it's possible for you to use this data
provided you say that it is public sector information released by the
council of East Riding of Yorkshire under the Open Government Licence".

I'm not convinced it's possible to infer the one from the other without
much more detail than is on that page.   That doesn't mean that
somewhere those details don't exist - it just means that I wouldn't add
data from rowmaps to OSM without more licence details.

However, to answer the original question:

1) Yes, some local authorities have made explicit releases of genuinely
open data.

2) If if they haven't, and rights-of-way maps are encumbered by other
licences, the council's "definitive statement" may well be admissable
(something like "FP123 starts at the junction of X road and Y road and
runs across the field to the gate at the north of Z house").

Best Regards,

Andy